Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dear Mom,

Yesterday, my plans changed.

I was sitting at my kitchen table, busily working on my Saturday to-do list like any responsible, competent adult would.  Items were being checked off, I was focused, and diligently completing necessary tasks.  That lasted until about "apply for dental insurance."

It was time for a break.  

And Mom, somehow, even 2,356 miles away, your influence still quietly reminds me to remember what is most important in life. 

Sometimes, it's your example of consistent temple attendance that gently guides me to worship in God's holy house.

Sometimes, it's your voice in my head telling me, "Life is good! It will all work out," that makes me laugh at life's twists instead of cry...
Or at least laugh while crying :-)

Sometimes, it's the memories of watching your lifetime of selfless service that help me choose to get up and do some good in the world.

But this time, it was your inspiring joy for God's creations that led me outside on a walk, to a darling little garden shop down the street.  

The minute I walked in, surrounded by beautiful flowers, my stomach did that happy-jump thing.  

I wanted to call you the entire time I was there for your advice, insight, and enthusiasm...but that would have ruined the surprise.

Yesterday, Mom, I planted flowers.  




And I couldn't leave the shop without this:


Best three hours of my week.

I can't begin to express how happy this made my heart...
And how much closer I felt to my sweet Momma :-)

Not surprisingly, this song was running through my head:

I Often Go Walking
Phyllis Luch

I often go walking in meadows of clover,
And I gather armfuls of blossoms of blue.
I gather the blossoms the whole meadow over;
Dear mother, all flowers remind me of you.

 O mother, I give you my love with each flower
To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through;
For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking,
I learn how to love them, dear mother, from you.



I know it's not exactly fair for me to buy myself something for your Mother's Day gift, but you better believe I will think of you every single time I go in and out my front door this summer. 

  

I love you, Mom!
To the moon...and back.

44 more days.

Until then, love notes from Boston:






















And of course, these.
I'll always be your little girl.




Next step: influence me to learn how to sew :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Anna, stop crying. ;)

    Dear Kristi, I hope my girls grow up to be as sweet, compassionate, intelligent, resourceful, and lovely as you.

    ReplyDelete