Tuesday, August 20, 2013

So far...


Things I don't like about Boston:
1. Driving.  These roads are absolutely ridiculous.  It's like trying to navigate your way through a bowl of spaghetti.  Can we say grid system, early colonists?! Even with my smartphone telling me precisely what to do, there is no way to see exactly what is coming next.  Google maps or Siri usually guide me in very calm tones saying something like, 

"Keep left, then keep right...find the correct exit out of this intersection with five different options for escape...(rerouting)..., make a figure eight under the bridge while being honked at by multiple grumpy Massachusetts drivers...(rerouting)..., pay toll; avoid going the wrong way onto one-way streets while simultaneously turning and changing lanes without being killed; pay toll again...(rerouting)..., finally arrive at the destination you were seeking, and continue to drive past it because there are no blasted places to park...(rerouting)..."  

Ahem.  Sorry.



Things I adore about Boston:  
1. Diversity.  There are all kinds of individuals here.  Everywhere!  And they are simply fascinating to a seasoned people-watcher such as myself.  I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know people and listening to their tales of how life brought them to this place.  My own answer to "Why Boston?" isn't sounding as crazy and unresolved anymore, thank goodness.    

2. History.  This place is packed with treasures that take me back in time and teach me a little more about how I, and the amazing country I call home, came to be.  Around every corner awaits another incredible story, and it's very difficult with my sense of direction to turn the same corner twice.   

3. Sunrises.  In my adorable house, there are some stairs. And up the stairs, there is a darling room.  And in the darling room, there is a soft bed.  And from the soft bed, I can see through a charming window.  And through the charming window, every morning, I have a perfect view of the sun rising over the city skyline.  And with every sunrise, another adventurous day begins. 

Magic :-)    


4 comments:

  1. You are the only person I know that can make me laugh and then cry all in the same post! I love you tons and miss you even more but I am so glad that you are having such a wonderful experience in Boston with the exception of the traffic! Keep writing. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I love sunrises! The only thing better are sunsets....maybe next year you should move to the West Coast to see the sunsets. :) I want to see your darling room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. When life gives you spaghetti...make some tomato sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And with every sunrise, another adventurous day begins.

    I needed that.

    Miss you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete